Friday, October 29, 2004

first things first. happy bday pj.

second things second. i had my interview in DC this morning.

i was 20 minutes late.

i don't believe i have ever been late to an interview, and one of the biggest interviews in my life, and i'm 20 minutes late. if you're late to an interview, it means you're done... especially for a consulting position. why was i late? the directions, that they sent me, were wrong. it wasn't necessarily wrong, but the directions told me to look for a specific street, which there were no signs for (the exit was called something completely different... honestly!). i overshot the exit by over 15 miles, called the office telling them where i was, and turned my car around and drove like a madman. i had rented a red mustang, and boy was i really using the engine. according to my clock, i was 13 minutes late. however, according to their clock, i was 20 minutes late. i gave myself about an hour to get to the office when it should have been a 20 minute car ride. didn't happen.

in any case, i finally arrived, signed in and we got started right away. i had planned on arriving 40 minutes early to prepare a little in my car... but that choice wasn't really an option. there were two managers interviewing me (one was the alum i wrote about before, the other was arguably the best looking female consultant i have ever seen). i apologized profusely, and they obviously weren't too happy. but during the interview, i did a great job. i felt very confident about my answers. if i wasn't late, i think i would have guaranteed myself 3rd rounds. but, i was, and it was a huge strike against me. so what would happen? would i get a callback? or would i get a slap in the face?

well, apparently i did a great job because they called me back on the same day and after some chastising for being late (but understanding the directions were wrong), i'm moving on to the next round. even though i may have done a good job, i owe this alum a huge huge dinner.

Enter your email address below to subscribe to blah(g) you!


powered by Bloglet