Wednesday, April 28, 2004

today i renewed my lease for my apartment. it is customary to increase your rent in north carolina, where it is the opposite in california right now. in any case, i talked with someone last weekend about it and they said they wanted to raise my rent by $15 dollars, not a big deal. today, it was a different guy, and he said that they needed raise my rent by $30 dollars.

"well, i talked to the lady last weekend and she said $15, so i went home and did some math and i can only do 10 dollars. also, my friend who also lives here just re-signed and it was raised by only 10 dollars for him." the math part is a half-truth, but the second part was true.

"wellll.... hmmm...." the manager is going over the numbers he wrote on his memo pad over and over again. he was visibly not happy.

"well, okay," he continues, "i'll give it to you for $10, but that's not what we normally do here."

"also, i know you guys have a special right now with the whole duck thing..."

my apartment complex has a special where there are these rubber duckies floating in this small fountain. each duck has a $100 to $400 written on the bottom, and whatever duck you pull, that is how much of a discount you will get off your first months rent. i knew that there was only one $400 duck and it was pink, because i did some "scouting" a few weeks back.

the manager says to me, "right. go ahead and pull a duck and tell me how much you get off."

so i go to the little duck area where nobody else is and the manager cannot see me at all. there are two pink ducks in the little pool. i choose one, it's only $200 off. crap, i tell myself. i then look underneath the other pink duck, and behold, it's the $400 off duck. nobody was watching me (they must really trust me since i'm asian or something), and $200 is a lot of money. i'm not breaking any laws, there are no signs about pulling a duck twice, and the manager really doesn't seem like he cares.

so what should i do? (edit: what DID i do?)

Enter your email address below to subscribe to blah(g) you!


powered by Bloglet