Sunday, February 29, 2004

presenting another special guest appearance by aileen

Before watching “The Passion of the Christ,” I read and heard many
different reactions to the film. I thought I would feel like Newsweek critic
David Ansen, who wrote "The relentless gore is self-defeating. Instead of
being moved by Christ's suffering or awed by his sacrifice, I felt abused by a
filmmaker intent on punishing an audience, for who knows what sins."

However, after seeing the movie, I felt that although it was deeply
disturbing, it was also very powerful. Although I was repulsed by the violence
onscreen, I was also moved by the unspeakable suffering that Jesus endured for
all humankind. I always knew that Christ suffered, died, rose again, and we
were redeemed. But I never really realized what the suffering consisted of.
During the movie, I kept reminding myself that “He was pierced for our
transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought
us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.”

I was impressed by the powerful performances of all the actors and the
beautiful cinematography. And I couldn’t forget James Caviezel’s strong desire
to see this project through no matter what. He suffered from hypothermia while
on the cross, was hit twice during the whipping scene, and was struck by
lightening while shooting the Sermon on the Mount.

I don’t think Mel Gibson's film is anti-Semitic. Jesus came to Earth
in order to suffer and die in reparation for our sins. No race, no man, no
priest, no governor, no executioner killed Jesus. He died by God's will to
fulfill his purpose, and with our sins we all killed him. The Jews and Romans
were simply fulfilling their roles in God's plan for Jesus. The Jews didn't
kill Christ; humankind did.

On one hand, the movie made me respect Jesus more than ever. But on
the other hand, it made me dislike God. How could He do that to his only son?
How can I worship a God that did that to his son? I think He should just let
us suffer for our own sins. I don’t think He should have made his son suffer
for us. I understand it was a great sacrifice for us. But I think it was way
too much.

Finally, I think the movie was really good because it sparked religious
discussion. It made non-Christians want to know more about Jesus and
Christianity. Many critics disliked the film because we only get a few passing
references to the teachings of Jesus. But I thought it was just enough to
spark curiosity. I definitely recommend the film to both Christians and non-
Christians alike.

Enter your email address below to subscribe to blah(g) you!


powered by Bloglet