Friday, November 15, 2002

today i completely zoned out when i was driving to work. my thoughts were really out there, and before i knew it, i was wayyyyy past my exit just driving on an empty 280 South. i woke up out of my day dream (while driving) and was like, "hey... this doesn't look too familiar..." then i drove by an exit sign that i knew was past my exit, so i did a quick 4-lane change and pulled a u-turn and back to work. i don't know what's more dangerous - driving and daydreaming or driving like a maniac.

but in any case, my daydream was a sudden flashback i had when i used to volunteer at the hospital. i worked the coveted "front desk" where you just sit there and answer phone calls while you do homework and goof around with a friend. i remember one phone call where a woman with an initially quiet voice asked to be connected to her father's room. i looked up the number on the computer screen and it showed a "no incoming calls" status.

ANDY
Sorry, but this person requested that no incoming calls be made.

PERSON
WHAT? I'm his DAUGHTER. PLEASE connect me!!!!

ANDY
Um.. I'm sorry.. I'm not allowed to. I-

PERSON
PLEASE! PLEASE YOU HAVE TO. MY FATHER IS DYING OF CANCER RIGHT NOW. CAN'T I TALK TO MY OWN FATHER!!

ANDY
Um... I... Uhh...

PERSON (starts breaking down and cries uncontrollably)
MY FATHER IS DYING ON HIS DEATH BED. I WANT TO TALK TO MY FATHER!!!

ANDY
Well... Ummm.... Uhhh.... can you hold on a sec?

PERSON
YES! (starts crying even louder)

Andy puts the person on hold and connects to the switchboard operator.

OPERATOR
Operator.

ANDY
Um... there's this person that's like... she wants to talk to her dad but he requested on incoming calls, but she won't listen...

OPERATOR
Okay, just connect her over to me. Thank you.

ANDY (to the crying woman)
Um... here's... the operator...

Andy connects them.

***************************************************

so i have no clue why this came into my head. i think a neuron just had some weird misfire, but in any case, i was thinking what should i have done? i daydreamt that if it was today, i would run up to the room, ask the patient if it was okay to be connected to his daughter, then run back and tell her the answer. but then again, i could probably get fired. but honestly, i don't think i handled the situation as best as i could have. a daughter wanted to talk to her dying father in the last moments... and all i did was try to stop it. but rules are rules, right? or wrong? i still don't know.

Enter your email address below to subscribe to blah(g) you!


powered by Bloglet