Thursday, May 16, 2002

so i'm going to write about my experience with my father, but this is going to be a different post because this one is not as serious. during my visit, it's either awe-inspiring or just plain weird to see how people at the hotel were kissing up to him. he stayed at the hampton inn and they were treating him like a king. my dad parked right in front of the door, where the valet parking usually is, and they didn't say a thing. his excuse was that we were only going to check in and then go to dinner, so it was okay - but i know that if i parked there, i would be told to move my car right away.
while checking in, the hotel clerk laughed at every comment he said, was EXTREMELY patient, and EXTREMELY friendly. i swear, if my dad said "can i have 20 dollars?" they'd say "sure dr. chang! of course! hee hee!" my dad was checking into the san francisco airport hampton inn so he wouldn't have to drive all the way from livermore at 6 in the morning to catch his flight. the people at the livermore hampton inn actually HAND wrote this long letter, including directions, who to check into, what time, everything - all hand written. all thisis because he's representing the government and are probably scared of him.
we arrived in the hotel room and when deciding on a place to eat, i decided to abuse them. i called the front desk and asked where a good chinese restaurant was, nearby, and doesn't use MSG. the front desk told me "sir, i do not know of any off the top of my head, but i will call all the restaurants in the area and ask if they have MSG. after that, i will call your room sir and let you know." geez... that's crazy. so they finally called us back (during which i was very tempted to play nintendo 64, which they offered in the room but watched the sharks - avalanche game instead), and my dad said that we'd come down and talk to them on the way out. so we go down to the front desk, and they have a menu and brochure of the restaurant ready for us to take. the clerk gave us directions, giggling, and laughing, and sent us on our way. car still parked right in front of the door. insane.

so we arrive at the chinese restaurant, and before my dad sits down, he asks "you use NO msg, right?" the waiter/owner was obviously insulted, and said "we use absolutely NO msg. sit down." that was definitely an awkward moment because it was kinda rude, and i was afraid that our food would have extra helpings of lugies. also, i already have the napkin folded on my lap and just waiting for my dad to sit as well.
when it was time to order, i asked for a glass of water. the waiter asked if my dad wanted one too, and he said "no, i like this tea, and i can't drink tap water."

so i wrote before that my dad was telling me go get a computer. the stipulation was, like i said yesterday, that i would have to seriously start learning programming languages. while i hate it so much, my dad is right in saying that knowing programming can only help you and make you stand out from the rest. he wins. again.

so what is the point of this thought... i'm definitely intrigued by my father.

he called me this morning from the airport to tell me to get a CD-RW drive along with the computer and that'd enjoy it later. i told him before that i dind't want one and i wanted to save money. he ended our conversation with "i love you." i told him that i loved him too. it was definitely weird hearing that.

Enter your email address below to subscribe to blah(g) you!


powered by Bloglet